Join Hope College Australia

Health Insurance – International Students


Information on Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

All student visa holders must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance in Australia. You must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance starts. If you are in Australia and do not have adequate health insurance, you are in breach of visa condition 8501.

Hope College can organise your OSHC coverage for you if you request, or you can select an approved OSHC provider yourself and pay the policy.

You will need OSHC coverage for the duration of your visa. To find out the length of coverage you will require, see student visa grant periods.

If Hope College arranges your OSHC coverage, we will forward you a tax receipt and a certificate of insurance after processed so that you can find the date that your policy starts and finishes and the terms and conditions of your policy.

If you arrange OSHC coverage yourself you will also need to know the policy number to include in the visa application.

Exceptions: You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

If you are studying at more than one educational provider and both are arranging OSHC, you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately.

If you have a child born after your arrival in Australia, and you only have a single OSHC policy you must change that to a family policy. If family members join you after your arrival in Australia they will have to demonstrate that they have an OSHC policy for the duration of their visas.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance that provides cover to contribute towards the costs of:

  • Hospital expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Outpatient pharmacy
  • Emergency ambulance services

You can choose to arrange your own OSHC, or Hope College can arrange your Overseas Student Health Cover.  Health cover must be paid for the length of your student visa application.

Please refer to the Department of Health and the Department of Home Affairs for more information.

The Department of Home Affairs: Student Visa 500 – Overseas Student Health Cover